Hospitality training and consultancy ‘menu’
Since every business is different and has unique and constantly changing needs we have put together an ‘à la carte’ menu of training solutions from which you can choose to create your own bespoke training programme in order to achieve your business objectives.
What are your desired outcomes? What do you want people to leave the training experience feeling, knowing and doing? What do you want the impact on the business to be in a month, 3 months, 6 months or a year? What will success look like in terms of people’s attitudes and behaviours? Your objectives for your training event need to be well thought out and clear in order to guide the training design, in terms of both specific content and delivery style, and we will partner with you to achieve this.
From front-line staff to supervisors, team leaders and heads of department, whether back- or front-of-house, we can tailor both the content and the level at which we pitch our training, in order to ensure it is meaningful and applicable. We do this by using real-life examples and drawing on the context in which the participants operate and practice, so that they can apply what they learn in the session to address their own real-life business challenges.
Our training is practical and grounded in psychology and best practice. We create learning environments that are relaxed, confidential and fun, which enables participants to feel comfortable to try out new things and challenge old ways of thinking. Most essential is personal accountability – the transfer of the learning back into the real world in useful and positive ways. We use the concept of Learning Partners to help participants to commit to and follow-through with desired actions.
In addition to training we offer consultancy services. We can help you assess how your business or parts of your business are functioning, which are the strengths to leverage and what are the gaps between where you are now and where you want to be. We will then work with you to implement the most appropriate solution – not just training but restructuring, role design, product and service design and process improvement to improve the quality and performance of your people, create operational efficiencies and drive revenue.
The expert trainer / consultant
Arjen is a highly experienced businessman, operator and trainer. After fifteen years as a general manager, leader and business owner within well-known hotel groups and his own operations, he has managed departments and teams in Hilton, Moat House, Premier Lodge and De Vere Hotels before setting up his own businesses Armadillo Gastro Pubs and ‘The Dining Team’. He has trained numerous teams of service staff across different functions and undertaken many hospitality consultancy roles for first rate organisations, such as Winston’s Wish, Arundel Castle and The Chichester Biltong Company. As a consultant, General Manager and hospitality operator, Arjen has always been a firm believer in training and developing his teams to deliver outstanding customer service and achieve business goals. With this in mind Arjen is able to use his 25 years of commercial and customer service expertise to deliver a practical approach to training, focusing on skills, knowledge and techniques that are immediately transferable to the workplace and inspiring teams to really care and make an impact within their departments.Arjen has undertaken a number of consultancy and other projects in the hospitality field, including:
- As owner and operator of ‘The Dining Team’ the ongoing recruitment and development of a team of highly skilled bespoke contract catering service and food preparation staff
- The implementation of work flow procedures with ‘the customer in mind’ for The Chichester Biltong Company
- Relaunch of the food and beverage operation for Arundel Castle, a premium visitors attraction in Arundel, West Sussex, including the retraining of existing staff and the recruitment and training of new team members
- Owner and operator of Armadillo Gastro pubs – the ongoing recruitment, training and development of the service staff – front and back of house
- Project management of the opening and subsequent management of the brand new Premier Lodge Hotel in Chichester – which involved the implementation and training of operations and customer service standards across the entire operation
- As General Manager the complete overhaul of the team and service standards of the previously struggling Britannia 180 bedroom Hotel – The Royal Albion, including the opening of adjoined music/bar venue
- Management development training for Ericsson in Greece
- Consultancy and bespoke training delivery for Albion Hotels in each unit to prepare it for resale
- Responsible for the pilot launch and implementation of corporate Brand Standards Training for Hilton food and beverage and conference and banqueting departments within Hilton East Midland Hotel
- As General Manager at the New Park Manor, a privately owned boutique hotel, carried out a complete hotel refurbishment and new opening; responsible for the recruitment and development of the staff for every department within the hotel
- Financial awareness – maximising business performance, understanding P&L, budgeting, forecasting, improving profit, payroll performance, stock control, effective rota writing, etc
- Customer service
- Complaint handling
- Interview skills
- The Customer Journey and managing ‘Moments of Truth’
- Event organising
- Setting up an outside catering service
- Menu writing and costing
- Introducing new services
- Appraisal skills
- Assertiveness, influencing and persuading
- Disciplinary and grievance issues
- Managing change
- SWOT analysis
- Goal setting
- Motivating teams
- Leading a team
- Setting and implementing standards
- Communication and presentation skills
- The effective Duty Manager
- Supervisory skills