Dramatic presentation skills!
OverviewThere are many great speakers and many famous performers who stand effortlessly before us and present in an engaging and inspirational fashion. But how do they do it? The answer is simple. They practise. These seasoned professionals are no different from anyone else, except that they have one advantage. They understand the value of developing skills and practising until they get it right. We are often asked to make a presentation, based on the assumption that we have already developed our public speaking skills – or that perhaps we were born with them! Yet standing up in front of others and speaking is generally regarded as one of our greatest fears. We worry that we will forget our words, freeze on stage, take a question we cannot answer… the terrifying possibilities are endless. Or are they? Professional actors do this successfully every day. They present themselves at auditions, they stand on stage and perform to thousands, they speak with the media and they achieve this success through developing skills and rehearsing. Our highly interactive presentation skills training will give you the opportunity to benefit from drama-inspired techniques, learning how to do it, trying it and then receiving accurate technical feedback from an experienced coach.
Training objectivesThis unique programme will help you:
- Overcome nerves and learn techniques to deal with fear on stage
- Understand the technical components of a professional presentation
- Apply the learning through practise
- Finish with a highly polished professional presentation
AudienceIdeal for those who:
- Are required to present information in an engaging and effective way
- Are nervous about presenting and, as a result, are not fulfilling their potential
- Have an important presentation or conference approaching and need buy-in from key stakeholders and members
- Are required to sell an idea or product to large numbers of people
FormatThe workshop combines a series of drama-based practical exercises, theory and practise sessions with feedback and development points. With your own specific development areas injected into the day, you will finish the session with a tailored and highly polished presentation which is ready for performance. Every workshop is tailored to your needs, focusing on your specific presentation requirements.
The expert trainerStephen and his team of drama-based learning specialists have been delivering highly successful, hands-on, practical presentation and personal impact training solutions for the past six years. With a combined experience of over 50 years’ in theatre-style training, Stephen and his team can help you to overcome the challenges associated with standing up and speaking in front of others, resulting in a highly polished professional presentation using drama inspired techniques. Stephen’s clients include, among others, Boston Borough Council, Camden Council, Kent County Council, EBP, Oxford University, Westminster Council, British Telecom, Legoland Windsor, Nutricia, Sodexo Jeans for Genes, Vizards Tweedie, Biz Unlimited and Vodafone.
‘For a presentation on social enterprises, I came to Steve for help and advice. He helped me communicate in a relaxed and natural way, giving me the confidence to face my audience and engage them by expressing my style and personality.’ Lynne Brooke, Partner, Vizards Tweedie Law Firm
‘I’d just like to say how liberating the experience with Darren was! As he said, I “know my subject back to front”. Unfortunately that was exactly the way I was used to presenting. The two sessions with Darren made me look at structure, posture, delivery, tone, words; in fact just about every aspect of telling a story in such a way as to engage the audience and have the maximum impact. I would certainly recommend Darren to other business people who need presentation coaching.’ Judith Hunt, Director, bizunlimited!
Workshop outline1 Meet the cast
- An introduction to the coach
- Establish your personal development areas within presentation
- Looking at expert presenters and then uncovering some of their secrets
- What makes a great presentation?
- A breakdown of the structure required to create the perfect presentation from pre-planning to standing up and delivering
- How to communicate with your audience using – Voice – Breath – Pitch – Tone – Eye contact – Body language – Humour – Facial expressions
- Putting the learning into practice with a presentation to your colleagues
- What went well?
- What could be improved?
- Observations and feedback
- Deliver the presentation again, this time taking the feedback in to account
- Key learning points