Assertiveness and dealing with difficult situations
OverviewThis one-day programme provides the knowledge and skills to become more assertive when dealing with other people in a variety of different situations.
Training objectivesAs a result of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognise what makes effective communication
- Know the difference between assertive, aggressive and passive behaviours
- Understand and practice the three steps to assertive behaviour
- Deal more confidently and effectively with difficult situations at work
AudienceAll front-line staff who deal with external and/or internal customers.
FormatThis thoroughly practical one-day course uses a mixture of formal tutor inputs, practical exercises and tutor-facilitated discussion. The style is very positive, upbeat and motivational.
The expert trainer
Jessica is an experienced management skills trainer specialising in all aspects of leadership training, performance management and, particularly, recruitment and interviewing skills. A dynamic, motivated and professional individual with a flair and passion for training, she has an infectious, energetic and inspirational style and is fully committed to enthusing change and commitment in those with whom she works.
She began her career as a Senior Consultant with recruitment consultants Anders Elite, where she was responsible for the establishment and development of a new division. After three years there, she moved to become an account manager and trainer with Wealth Management Software, allowing her to become more directly involved in both recruitment (working closely with client senior management) and training. In 2005 she became an independent trainer and since then has worked for organisations such as ING, Interglobal Insurance, Hays Resource Management, ABN AMRO, Saunders Partnership (architects), JD Wetherspoon, Maximum Performance, NHS Eastern and Coastal Kent and many others.
Jessica has successfully designed and delivered training courses at all levels, from board-room to front-line supervisors, on such subjects as appraisals, closing sales, coaching and mentoring, communication skills, competency-based interviewing, complaint handling, customer service, developing business relationships, effective meetings, interviewing skills, leadership skills, management academy, managing legally, motivation, negotiation skills, performance management, personnel policies and procedures, recruitment and selection interviewing, sales skills, telephone techniques, time management and train-the-trainer.
- The communication process
- Verbal and non-verbal behaviour
- Actively listening – not just hearing
- The importance of assertive body language
- Behaviour styles
- Definition of assertive behaviour and the benefits it offers
- Distinguishing between assertive, aggressive and passive behaviours
- Recognising your own behavioural patterns
- Analysing your strengths and weaknesses when dealing with other people
- Assertiveness techniques
- The ‘broken record’ technique and the ‘fogging’ technique
- Three steps to assertive behaviour
- Taking control through positive body language
- How to say ‘no’ and still attain compromise
- Persuading and influencing others
- Using assertiveness to influence others
- Influencing techniques
- Handling difficult situations
- Dealing with barriers to assertiveness
- Recognising how to create win-win situations
- Techniques for dealing with conflict
- How to give constructive feedback