New business opportunities – how to create and exploit them
A high-impact day on how to create new business opportunities, from both existing and new clients, using a variety of proven techniques, including up-selling, cross-selling, ‘warm calling’ and referrals.
Training objectivesAs a result of this course, participants will be able to:
- Use a variety of different methods for creating and generating new business opportunities in the short, medium and long term
- Source new business from existing clients through effective up- and cross-selling
- Use ‘warm calling’ and referrals to help generate business from new clients
- Make the most of the ‘business planning toolkit’
The programme will have an immediate impact on participants’ ability to generate more business.
All business development consultants, account managers and sales staff.
Consultants and others without a sales background also benefit enormously from this course.
A highly interactive one-day course involving practical exercises, role play, case studies and, if possible, specific examples from your organisation.
Course materials include a copy of the ‘Business planning toolkit’, plus additional sales-aid materials, skills case studies, etc.
The more advance access the trainer has to examples from your organisation, the more focused and beneficial will be the participants’ learning experience.
The expert trainer
Graham specialises in providing high-quality consultancy, coaching and training in sales, sales management, customer service and personal productivity. He has a long career in sales and was a top-performing IT and solutions sales professional and sales manager. His most recent full-time role was as Managing Director of Sales Productivity and Development for Thomson Financial, helping develop a large European sales force.
His work has taken him all over the world and involved him in working closely with hundreds of different organisations from all business sectors, his client list including such organisations as BT, Vodafone, AT&T, Orange, Pfizer, GSK, Boots, Unilever, American Express, Thomas Cook, Apple, Sony, Motorola, Cisco, MFI, Barclays Bank, LIFFE, Abbey National, Prison Service, Home Office, Law Society, BBC, Daimler-Chrysler, Citroen, Weetabix, Nikon, Shell and many, many others. In addition he has written over twenty books published in several different countries, including Companies don’t succeed – people do!, 90 Brain Teasers for Trainers, Customer Service Games for Training, Sales Training Games, Telephone Tacticsand Working Smarter.
Known internationally as both a trainer and a popular motivational speaker, he believes that effective learning has to be interactive and challenging. All his learning events are built around practical exercises, role play and case studies. His training style focuses not on just explaining new ideas or developing new skills, but also on motivating people to use them and to develop themselves as individuals. This approach gets results, as the following comments from course participants show:
‘Brilliant course, really interesting and very focused to my job role and day to day work.’
‘Took away some very good ideas that I can use every day… good examples too.’
‘Very confident in the subject, and amusing too. Made the course very interesting. A very clear sales model to use going forward.’
‘Full of useful hints and tips which I will apply to my job.’
‘Extremely well presented and structured’
‘A very intensive course and a lot of concrete tools provided.’
‘Useful data, tools and insights; engaging and interesting as always.’
‘Very good… contained everything we do on a regular basis and problems we have come across… the exercises made it very interesting too.’
- 90% of success is showing up!
- The importance of constant and consistent new business activities
- Apply the key principles of effective prospecting and pipeline management generation using a tried-and-tested specific toolkit
- Sources of leads and new business
- Develop a practical action plan for key accounts for up-selling and cross-selling
- Setting new business goals and objectives
- Making time for new business activity – how to build it into your daily and weekly routine
- Organised persistence – the key to success
- Identify potential prospects – and decision-makers and influencers within target accounts – with greater accuracy
- Sales tracking – managing contacts scientifically, using a variety of tools and methods
- How to prioritise opportunities and manage your time when sourcing new business
- Target potential opportunities with more accuracy on a consistent basis
- The secret of Joe Giradi – the world’s greatest sales person
- Making appointments by telephone
- ‘Cold calling blues’ – overcome psychological blocks (yours and the client’s) to cold or warm calling
- Make outbound sales or appointment calls with improved confidence, control and results
- Get past gatekeepers and assistants more effectively
- Developing really effective cold-call ‘prompt’ sheets for greater success
- How to write a door-opening letter or email
- The ten biggest mistakes people make when cold-calling
- How to gain new contacts at events – working a room
- How to leverage existing contacts to build new ones
- How to ask and get referrals
- Getting senior-level appointments
- Achieving success in your first appointment or call
- Setting objectives and planning the first appointment or call
- The first five minutes – why you never get a second chance to make a great first impression
- Gaining instant rapport – HOW people buy people
- Doing your homework – checklist of what you should know
- Establishing your credibility and capability at the outset
- Closing for the follow-up and next step
- Putting it all together
- Role plays and planning sessions
- Personal action plans