Business project management
Overview of ‘Business project management’Project management is increasingly becoming key to the success of new initiatives, contractual agreements and working practices. As more and more individuals are becoming involved with projects those responsible need to understand the effective planning methods and team-skills in order to make them successful.
Training objectivesBy the end of this business project management course, participants will be able to:
- Incorporate the skills required for effective project management
- Adopt the roles and qualities of a successful project manager
- Set clear objectives for a project and allocate tasks
- Plan a project through its key stages to meet challenging deadlines
- Inspire and lead their project team through effective communication
- Encourage effective team working
- Gain and maintain the support of others during the life cycle of the project
AudienceIndividuals new to the role of project manager and anyone who wants to understand the processes, procedures and terminology common to most projects. This business project management training course will also benefit those wanting to know what tools are available to help them successfully conclude each project.
FormatThis interactive and engaging business project management training programme can be delivered as a one- or two-day course.
The expert trainer
Jessica is an experienced leadership and management development and personal effectiveness skills trainer, with a particular specialism in business project management. A dynamic, versatile, motivated and professional individual with a flair and passion for learning and development, she has an infectious, energetic and inspirational style and is fully committed to enthusing change and commitment in those with whom she works.
She began her career as a Senior Consultant with recruitment consultants Anders Elite, where she was responsible for the establishment and development of a new division. After three years there, she moved to become an account manager and trainer with Wealth Management Software, allowing her to become more directly involved in both recruitment (working closely with client senior management) and training. In 2005 she became an independent trainer and since then has worked for organisations such as the NHS, ING, Interglobal Insurance, Soho House, Three Pillars Hotels, Giraffe Restaurants, Renew Medica, Hays Resource Management, ABN AMRO, Saunders Partnership (architects), JD Wetherspoon and many others. She also worked for two years for another training organisation, managing a team of 6 internal and 20 associate trainers and delivering training to clients such as The Crown Estate, The Royal Household, The Care Quality Commission, Sonali Bank, Sony Entertainment, The Bank of Tokyo, Mitsubishi, Lansdowne Club, NHS, Royal Holloway, University of London, UCL, Costa, EDF Energy, Canary Wharf and HEFA.
Course outline – Business project management1 What is meant by ‘project management’?
- Defining the key characteristics of a project
- Identifying the key skills and qualities of a project manager
- Recognising the four key stages of a project
- Using basic planning tools and techniques
- Scheduling using a Gantt chart or network diagram
- Creating a work breakdown structure
- Predicting risks and adapting to unforeseen circumstances
- Influencing teamwork by identifying team roles and preferences
- Knowing how to manage a team through formation to performance
- Understanding how to motivate others to maintain enthusiasm
- Using group work techniques to explore issues and solve problems collectively
- Knowing who, what and how to delegate effectively
- Adopting positive language to present ideas in a clear and persuasive way
- Using influencing skills to gain and maintain commitment
- Dealing with difficult issues in a confident and constructive way
- Knowing how to communicate change