Contracting with the UK Ministry of Defence
This comprehensive two-day programme has been developed to give a practical insight into contracting with the UK MOD in its role as one of the major procurement organisations in the United Kingdom.
Training objectivesHaving attended this event, participants will have a better understanding of:
- the MOD’s procurement organisation and acquisition operating framework
- key aspects of its procurement objectives, current initiatives and reviews
- the tendering process
- the MOD’s ‘more effective contracting’ principles
- the different contract types and associated pricing conditions
- the various methods of monitoring and measuring contract performance
- key conditions of MOD contracts
AudienceAll staff who are involved with contracting with the MOD and who need a fuller understanding of its acquisition procedures and processes, including:
- Engineering and project management staff
- Contracts and commercial staff
- Marketing and sales staff
- Sub-contract procurement teams
No prior knowledge of contracting with the MOD is necessarily required for participating in the course, although it is a particularly appropriate course for staff who have had some initial involvement with the MOD and wish to build on their existing knowledge base.
Where the course participants are predominantly from one discipline (eg, engineering) the course can be tailored to a degree to focus on the interaction of that discipline with the MOD whilst still covering the overall course content.
This comprehensive two-day course is based on formal presentation material from the expert trainer, practical examples and case studies and interactive sessions for participants to raise issues of particular interest to them.
The course includes an introduction to the MOD’s contract conditions, but they really deserve a day on their own. This can be offered either as a third day or, for those teams already familiar with the MOD but requiring a refresher on purely contractual issues, as a separate stand-alone day in its own right.
The expert trainer
Mike is a highly experienced commercial specialist who provides commercial consultancy services to clients in the UK industry related to contracting with the UK MOD. He has a broad experience of practical commercial interaction with the UK MOD gained over a thirty year period of working within the UK aerospace and defence industry. Prior to setting up his own consultancy in 2005, Mike worked in a variety of commercial roles in major companies within the UK defence industry, including Thales Avionics (where he was commercial director), Racal Avionics and BAE Systems.
- The UK MOD procurement organisation
- The Acquisition Operating Framework
- Current Defence Reviews, initiatives and their impact on commercial processes
- Tendering processes
- The contract lifecycle and contracting for capability
- ‘More Effective Contracting’ – concepts and principles
- Types of contract and related pricing conditions
- Monitoring and measurement of contract performance
- Key elements of MOD conditions of contract
- Financial and administrative aspects